Sunday, June 06, 2010

We can't measure our own spices!

I came across a new product in my grocery store’s spice aisle called McCormick Recipe Inspirations. I was drawn to its eye-catching package which includes six pre-measured packets of McCormick dried seasonings and a step-by-step recipe to make one of six dishes. The dishes include:

Apple & Sage Pork Chops
Rosemary Roasted Chicken with Potatoes
Garlic Lime Fajitas
Quesadilla Casserole
Spanish Chicken Skillet
Shrimp & Pasta Primavera.

Each package sells for $1.99.

I must have been staring intensely because a fellow shopper commented, "I am sure the spice you're looking for is there somewhere" as he passed. But I was no longer shopping. I was thinking:
“Has it really come to this? Are we this lazy and inept we can no longer measure our own spices. "
Here are the spices included with Shrimp & Pasta Primavera:
Garlic, onion, dill weed, black pepper, and thyme.

Black Pepper! Doesn’t everyone own black pepper? And Quesadilla Casserole comes with salt. Salt and pepper sold in pre-measured plastic packages ~ what a waste.

Supposedly, the product is designed for the newbie cook who doesn’t own a large variety of seasonings. Recipe Inspirations give them the opportunity to sample a more unusual spice to see if they like it before investing in an entire container.

I have a better idea. Take Spanish Chicken Skillet which includes:
Paprika, garlic, red pepper, thyme, and black pepper.

Why doesn’t McCormick give away a free sample of one of the spices as a grocery store giveaway, include the recipe and a coupon for a future purchase and call it a day.

4 comments:

  1. The next step in instant food. I wonder if anyone will even know how to cook in 20 years? What a silly marketing gimmick - and it will work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know how many spices I have purchased for just one recipe? I don't care though because I am okay with trying new things, and if I have the spice in my pantry, I am more likely to use it again.

    I get the distinct impression, based on market research, that certain companies are fighting the trend towards more home cooking, while others are pushing us towards it. It's an interesting battle, and no one in the food industry really knows how the two trends will end. There are indicators that the recession has caused people to stay at home and cook more often, but then companies create these "great" ideas that add extraneous expense to your grocery bill. There is no winning unless you truly pay attention to everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Webb and Michelle,
    Thanks for your comments. You are right Webb it will work. And so are you Michelle we really must pay attention to everything and who has time for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least people are cooking!

    And really for someone who is just starting out, this isn't such a bad idea. $1.99 is a cheaper way to try out cooking than buying every single spice just for one recipe.

    ReplyDelete