Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Recent Loss

I recently lost a friend and colleague to breast cancer. I clearly remember the last time I saw Jeanie. She had recently finished her first bout with chemo and looked radiant in her bright red suit. Her attitude was optimistic and determined. She had been such a courageous fighter; I was sure she had beaten her cancer and was destined to be a survivor for many years to come. That was two years ago.

Experts claim that breast cancer treatment is most effective when detected early. To do this we must perform self examinations, schedule annual clinical breast exams and receive mammograms one to two years after the age of 40.

As we start 2007, I would like to encourage everyone to call their doctor’s office and schedule their annual breast cancer screening. And while you’re at it, if you are over 50, schedule your colonoscopy. I know these procedures are unpleasant, taking time off from work is a hassle, etc, etc. But don’t schedule your appointments because I told you to; schedule them because Jeannie would have wanted you to.

No comments:

Post a Comment